[StBernard] Louisiana Recovery Authority Board Member Responds to Presidents Veto of WRDA

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 2 22:18:28 EDT 2007

Louisiana Recovery Authority Board Member Responds to President's Veto of WRDA

WASHINGTON, DC (November 2, 2007) -- Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Board member Chet Morrison issued the following statement today in response to President George W. Bush's veto of the Water Resources Development Act of 2007 (WRDA), which includes more than $3.7 billion in specific hurricane recovery projects for Louisiana and up to $7 billion in total projects that will benefit the state according to recent estimates from the Congressional Budget Office.

"WRDA is undoubtedly one of the single most significant pieces of legislation passed by Congress to restore Louisiana's hurricane and flood protection infrastructure in the aftermath of Katrina and Rita.

"In 2005, President Bush delivered a historic speech from Jackson Square and declared that the Administration would 'do what it takes' to rebuild our devastated region. This August, when he visited us for the second anniversary, President Bush acknowledged again how important safety and flood protection are to our recovery, saying, 'We fully understand that New Orleans [and South Louisiana] can't be rebuilt until there's confidence in the levees.'

"When the Administration had an opportunity to back up rhetoric with substantive action to enhance hurricane protection for our communities, it did not deliver. By vetoing WRDA, President Bush has denied the authorization of critical funds to establish the Louisiana's Coastal Area Ecosystem Restoration (LCA) project, expedite closure of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (MRGO), establish the Morganza to the Gulf hurricane protection system and other projects that will enhance our wetlands and protect our coastal communities.

"We thank leaders in the House and Senate, especially members of the Louisiana Congressional delegation, for recognizing the monumental significance of this legislation to Louisiana's long term recovery. Because of their leadership, this bill was passed with bi-partisan support from Republicans and Democrats with enough votes to override a veto. We all hoped it would not be necessary-but it is-so we urge Congress to take immediate action and override President Bush's veto of this bill."

The WRDA bill was passed by the US House of Representatives by a vote of 381-40 and approved by the US Senate by a vote of 81-12.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###