[StBernard] Unclaimed Property Update

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 5 20:49:56 EST 2007

UNCLAIMED PROPERTY UPDATE

November 05, 2007

Inside This Issue

* A Message From State Treasurer John Kennedy

A Message From State Treasurer John Kennedy

The state is holding more than $330 million in lost money for
Louisiana citizens, and Baton Rouge area residents can see if any of this
money belongs to them at an Unclaimed Property Awareness Day on Saturday,
November 10, at The Mall At Cortana in Baton Rouge.

We held our last unclaimed property event in New Orleans where we returned
$133,000 to area residents including $20,000 to one individual. If anyone is
hesitant to go to the mall to look for money, let me assure you there are no
strings attached with the unclaimed property program. It only takes a few
minutes to look up your name or the name of someone you know, and it's a
free service.

Unclaimed property is money in the normal course of business that goes
unclaimed after a certain period of time. It includes savings and checking
accounts, uncashed payroll checks, certificates of deposit, stocks and
dividends, insurance proceeds, oil and gas royalty payments, utility
deposits and other funds. When a business cannot locate an individual the
unclaimed property belongs to, usually because of a wrong address, the money
is turned over to the state for safekeeping.

Over the past 10 years, Treasury employees have traveled to shopping malls,
community centers and other venues statewide, returning $125 million in
unclaimed property to nearly 200,000 Louisiana citizens. This Saturday, they
will be located at the JCPenney Stage in The Mall At Cortana (Florida Blvd.
at Airline Hwy.) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. to help anyone who finds unclaimed
property to file a claim for his or her money.

Individuals attending the unclaimed property event should bring a photo ID
and Social Security card to claim their money. The typical turnaround for
most unclaimed property claims is six to eight weeks. The quickest way for
the Treasury to process a refund is if there is a Social Security Number and
an address match for a claim.

If you cannot attend our upcoming unclaimed property event in Baton Rouge,
you can search for missing money online at www.latreasury.com or by calling
the Treasury's toll-free hotline at 1-888-925-4127.

John Kennedy
State Treasurer

Top

Search our database of $330 Million in Unclaimed Property at
www.latreasury.com <http://www.latreasury.com/>