[StBernard] Landrieu Responds to Bush WRDA Veto Statements

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 5 20:53:05 EST 2007

Landrieu Responds to Bush WRDA Veto Statements

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today made the
following statement regarding President Bush's stated reasons for vetoing
the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA). As soon as the veto was
confirmed Friday, Sen. Landrieu spoke with Majority Leader Harry Reid,
D-Nev. The House of Representatives must act first under constitutional
procedure, but Sen. Reid promised Sen. Landrieu he would move to schedule a
Senate vote to override the veto at the earliest opportunity following the
House, which is expected to do so as early as tomorrow.

"I am extremely disappointed with the President's veto last week of the
bipartisan Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) that was passed out of the
House and Senate by overwhelming majorities.

"In a brush with irony from a President who has racked up more than $3
trillion in debt since taking office, President Bush now claims that WRDA
'lacks fiscal discipline.'

"But replacing aging infrastructure is sound fiscal policy and a wise
investment in our future. Letting our nation's infrastructure deteriorate
and failing to invest in our national flood control, navigation and
environmental restoration projects will cost the American taxpayer dearly
down the road. For Louisiana, the bill will help protect our communities and
energy infrastructure from future hurricanes rising out of the Gulf.

"The President does accurately point out that this WRDA bill is very costly.
However, the increased cost of this bill is the result of not passing a bill
in seven years due to partisan gridlock. The cost of this bill is in line
with what would have been spent over this period if a WRDA bill had been
signed into law every two years as intended.

"Without the authorizations in this bill, Louisiana's coast will continue to
wash away at an alarming rate, leaving our communities perilously exposed to
flooding and the energy infrastructure that serves the entire nation in
grave danger."

- 30 -