[StBernard] Governor Blanco issues statement on Congressional override of WRDA veto

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 8 21:48:26 EST 2007

Governor Blanco issues statement on Congressional override of WRDA veto

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement today after the U.S. Senate joined the House of Representatives in voting to override President Bush's veto of the Water Resources Development Act of 2007 (WRDA):

"Today is a proud day for residents of Louisiana and the Gulf Coast. Congress has placed the needs of the American people first by voting to override the President's veto of WRDA. We have looked past political differences to authorize the projects necessary to strengthen and rebuild Louisiana's levees and coasts. These projects will protect our homes and our families, and will make our communities stronger than ever. This bill helps fulfill the promise made to the people of the Gulf Coast by the federal government.

"I want to thank the Members of our Congressional Delegation for their solid support. We are moving toward our goal of a safe, sustainable Louisiana. With the continuing participation of our federal partners, we will realize the complete recovery of our state. Our actions today leave our children the legacy of a safe place to call home."

###