[StBernard] A Veteran's Day Message; Column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 10 10:53:28 EST 2007

A Veteran's Day Message
Column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, the Commander in Chief of the Louisiana National Guard

On this Veterans Day, we pay tribute to the sacrifices of our Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen who have served selflessly throughout the history of the United States, to those who have served quietly, to those who have been wounded in battle, to those who are serving today in our nation's Global War on Terror and to those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

The Citizen Soldier has a long history of dedicated, patriotic service to our nation and our state. They have been pivotal in preserving the ideals and freedoms that we treasure every day. Louisiana's military heritage is long and proud. Our militiamen have fought in every conflict, served our citizens during every civil emergency and provided humanitarian assistance during every natural disaster that our state has endured.

Louisiana's veterans come from every walk of life and hail from every city, parish and community in our great state. Our veterans, men and women, represent every race and creed, rich and poor, and are represented in every branch of military service. Louisiana's military heritage is truly proud and storied.

President George Washington said after the Revolutionary War that "we owe these veterans a debt of gratitude, indeed a debt of honor." During our celebrations and parades it is fitting to remember that a gesture of gratitude, such as a quiet "thank you" or a simple handshake, are the heartfelt acts that let our fighting men and women know that we have not forgotten them and that they are truly appreciated for their service and sacrifices.

President Lincoln said during his second Inaugural Address that we must "care for him who has borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan." As we commemorate this Veterans Day, I ask you to reflect on the sacrifices made by all veterans past and present, and to also remember the sacrifices of their families.

Today fellow Louisianans are serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere around the world. I ask each of you to join me in prayer for their safe return home.

May each of you have a safe Veterans Day. May God bless the men and women in our National Guard and the Armed Forces. And may God continue to bless our great State and this Nation.

###