[StBernard] A parish hospital &amp; question for Craig<br>

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 12 20:51:29 EST 2007

Sorry SJK, but I disagree.

We're not talking about anyone's homes, but **pasture land**.

Why would the Meraux Foundation (an entity - not an individual) want to sell
the land to the parish if the goal of that said Foundation was for the
betterment of the parish? The Foundation could donate the land and I'm sure
there is some type of tax writeoff that would be available.

The idea of the hospital is for the benefit and service for the entire
parish.

Also, I'm very distrustful of this "foundation". The estate of Joseph and
then Arlene Soper Meraux was valued at something like $200 million plus?
Here's the info from a search for charities:

Arlene & Joseph Meraux Charitable Foundation, Inc. IN 7,371,840 12/31/2003
The Foundation's assets are shown as seven million three hundred thousand
and something. link:
http://foundationcenter.org/findfunders/statistics/pdf/09_top50_aa/2003/la_0
3.pdf

Where's the rest of the money from this estate?

Here's another interesting read on the shenanigans:

http://www.tulanelink.com/tulanelink/meraux_box.htm

I think what started out as a noble idea by this woman got turned around by
all the power-brokers in the parish who wanted their hands on the money.

If the Foundation board members are as civic-minded as they want to appear
to be, couldn't they just lease the land to the Parish for, say one dollar a
year with a hundred year lease?

Just my opinion,

Jim

The Supreme Court erred when it took away our private property
rights to
give to private enterprise. If you think its right, then you would
think
Murphy could take anyone's land it wanted to add to its profits.

My relatives who fought and are fighting NOW for our rights and
liberties
would not want me rendered homeless in the name of a refinery.

SJK