[StBernard] The (gulp!) -- R-Word!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 13 21:52:21 EST 2007

I agree, I live in "redneck" country up here in NE Texas and some of my
friends and neighbors are and some aren't. But most everyone considers the
term a jovial form of "pickin" on somebody, the same way they all call me a
coonass - and then ask me for recipies! Also, I refer all of y'all to Randy
Newman's song of the same subject. Hilarious!

Penny

>If one cannot say the N-word, then certainly, the same has to apply to the

>R-Word because it involves sensitivity to a race of

>individuals.

Ah, no it does not.

>From Wiki:

Redneck, in modern usage, predominantly refers to a particular stereotype
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype> of white people
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people> who may be found in many
regions of the United States <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States> .
Originally limited to the Appalachians
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachians> , and later the Ozarks
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks> and Rocky Mountains
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountains> , this stereotype is now
widespread in northern states. The word can be used either as a pejorative
or as a matter of pride <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride> . The blunt
definition of the stereotype describes one who lives in a rural American
area, is poor, and sometimes would own a pickup truck and would have an
apparel of a cowboy and a southern accent.[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck#_note-0>
You see it's *some* white people; not all so it's not about an entire race
of folks.

see this: http://www.redneckworld.com/

I was telling a friend of mine up here about my and Wendy's little
conversation and about the "scratching just below the surface..." and he
guffawed. You see, he's a redneck. But he also graduated cum laude from
Birmingham Southern with a degree in accounting and finance.

BTW, he howled when I told him about a line I heard in movie in which a wife
says to her husband "If you do that one more time, I'm gonna slap the red
right off your neck."

Jim