[StBernard] Road Home Funding Signed by President

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 13 22:09:47 EST 2007

Road Home Funding

Signed by President

Bill includes $5 billion for Road Home, La. Defense Projects

WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today commented on
President Bush's signing this morning of the Fiscal Year 2008 Defense
Appropriations Act. Last week, Sen. Landrieu worked to negotiate with other
Senators $3 billion in the bill to help close the funding shortfall in
Louisiana's Road Home housing recovery program.

The defense bill, passed Thursday as part of Louisiana's "$12 Billion Day,"
also includes $2 billion in defense-related Louisiana projects and passed
after Congress successfully overrode the President's veto of the Water
Resources Development Act (WRDA). That bill authorizes $7 billion for
Louisiana coastal protection projects and secures avenues of commerce
throughout the state.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"The President's signature on this bill caps Louisiana's historic $12
billion day in Congress last week. It means no more waiting, no more
worrying what will happen with this vital funding. It is now law, and
provides much-needed peace of mind to thousands of homeowners who were
starting the holiday season unsure of whether the Road Home would be there
for them.

"This funding does not completely address the Road Home shortfall, nor many
of the other challenges we face in our continued recovery. But it is a
significant step forward in all of these efforts.

"I met today with Governor Blanco and Governor-elect Jindal as we thanked
many of my Senate colleagues for their support and laid out the challenges
that remain for the future. This is a time of transition, but there will be
no change in our resolve and commitment. As I said to Governor-elect Jindal
on Election Night - Louisiana's fights are our fights, and we will fight
them together."

- 30 -