[StBernard] The (gulp!) -- R-Word!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 14 22:07:09 EST 2007

I agree when you disagree. If I call myself a Dago as a Sicilian are they
going to lock me up? I've been around since before the middle of the last
century and depending upon I pi&&ed off or whom I made laugh, any term of
name-calling was rude, but never was seen as damaging as calling someone
"stupid" or dumb. People would rather hear themselves described as clichés
of nationality than to be in the company of others who witnessed anyone
calling me by such or me doing the same. In my day, "real men" expressed
feelings rather than keep it inside and go to schools killing the innocent.
We fought after school, but the day after, we shook hands and played
football or wrestled in good company. Never had to pack a gun or knife, but
settle our differences to know who couldn't get away with insults.

Just being nice or unnice is what makes people refined or "way of the
world". So, since when is it criminal to be mean spirited? It might not be a
proper behavior, but that's why there are erasers on pencils: because we all
make mistakes.

Today, I'm the better for having known my "superior" in battles, or for
having fought the good fight, then making friends for life with those who
which we disagreed. We never tried to be "separatist" but made friends of
all cultures. I never considered myself crude or inhuman. I'm well educated
because my life was well-rounded, followed the golden rule and made friends
of enemies. (to those who didn't wish to be a friend, I and others left that
person follow his own "yellow brick road" and hoped he found his niche in
life.

--jer--

I agree, I live in "redneck" country up here in NE Texas and some of my
friends and neighbors are and some aren't. But most everyone considers the
term a jovial form of "pickin" on somebody, the same way they all call me a
coonass - and then ask me for recipies! Also, I refer all of y'all to Randy
Newman's song of the same subject. Hilarious!

Penny