[StBernard] [LANDRIEU] Landrieu, Pryor Fight for Tighter Border Security, Immigration Enforcement

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 16 19:30:47 EST 2007

Landrieu, Pryor Fight for Tighter Border Security, Immigration Enforcement

Bipartisan House & Senate effort now more than 100 members strong.

WASHINGTON - United States Senators Mark Pryor, D-Ark., and Mary L.
Landrieu, D-La., yesterday introduced legislation to reduce illegal
immigration by dramatically increasing border and interior enforcement and
providing employers with tools to verify work eligibility.

"Recent debates on immigration have time and again fallen victim to partisan
division," Sen. Landrieu said. "Falling through that divide has been the
paramount need to enforce the laws already on the books, and to back them up
with the action and resources to succeed. The SAVE Act looks past partisan
strife to focus on smart, effective strategies for securing our borders and
curtailing illegal immigration. Working with Senator Pryor and Congressmen
Shuler and Melancon, I am encouraged by the large, bipartisan coalition of
support this approach has generated. "

The Secure America through Verification and Enforcement Act (SAVE Act), S.
2368, provides a three-pronged approach to reducing illegal immigration. It
is identical to legislation introduced in the House of Representatives by
Representative Heath Shuler, D-N.C., with 105 bipartisan cosponsors from 26
states.

"I am proud to be working with Senator Landrieu on this important
legislation to secure our nation's borders and stop illegal immigration,"
said Rep. Shuler.

"The American public must have confidence that our immigration system works,
and I am happy to work with Senator Landrieu and Representative Shuler to
see that it does," said Sen. Pryor, the Senate bill's lead sponsor. "That
means enforcing the laws we already have on the books. Border patrol is the
first step. Expanding the employee verification program is the second. And
beefing up interior enforcement is the third. This legislation addresses
these challenges through a fair and practical approach."

The bill strengthens border security by increasing border patrol agents by
8,000 over 5 years and employing new technology available, including
satellite communication and aerial surveillance.

Second, the SAVE Act expands and mandates use of the E-verify program - a
free and effective program that allows employers to verify the individuals
they hire are legally allowed to work in the U.S. The program will be
phased-in over four years, beginning with the federal government, federal
contractors, and employers with more than 250 employees. Smaller businesses
would begin using the system in a graduated manner.

Finally, the legislation enables law enforcement, including Immigration and
Customs Enforcement (ICE), to enforce existing federal laws by providing
them with the staff, training, resources and infrastructure necessary to do
their jobs.

"Illegal immigration is a threat to our communities and a burden on our
local governments, and we must do more to combat this problem and protect
our borders," said Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-La., who cosponsored the House
version. "The SAVE Act will help stem the tide of illegal immigration
through commonsense measures like putting more agents along our borders and
requiring employers to verify workers' citizenship, and I thank Senators
Pryor and Landrieu for introducing it in the Senate. The SAVE Act is a
serious response to the illegal immigration crisis in our country. I look
forward to working with Sen. Landrieu, Sen. Pryor, Rep. Shuler and other
supporters to get it passed by Congress and signed into law."

- 30 -