[StBernard] WWE Smackdown in SBP

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 20 21:12:56 EST 2007

Sorry 'bout this Craig, but I read something on the nola.comb sbp forum and
was glad the T.P. then put in an article...

Jim

St. Bernard council cuts off Rodriguez's spending privileges

Two days after St. Bernard Parish President Henry "Junior" Rodriguez lost
his bid for re-election, the Parish Council called an emergency meeting
Monday and passed an ordinance prohibiting Rodriguez's administration from
spending a penny on anything except employee salaries without council
approval.

The council voted 7-0 to implement the fiscal restrictions, which will
remain in effect until Parish Councilman Craig Taffaro is sworn in as
president Jan. 8.

Council Chairman Joey DiFatta portrayed the ordinance as a routine measure
to ensure a smooth financial transition between the two administrations. But
other council members said they are concerned about the parish's finances
after reviewing 2007 expenditures while preparing the 2008 budget

"There is a certain amount of nervousness about fund balances and
documentation of financial transactions," Councilman Mark Madary said.
"We're balancing our budget on borrowed money."

Rodriguez said the parish's finances are in good shape and welcomed the
extra scrutiny.

"If y'all want to meet every day and go over every expenditure, whether it's
the light bill or the phone bill, I'm willing to do it," he said.

The council took him up on the offer and scheduled a standing meeting at 4
p.m. every business day to approve any non-salary spending. The meetings
will be canceled by 10 a.m. if there are no expenditures to review.

Dave Peralta, the parish's chief administrative officer, will retain his
authority to approve emergency expenditures.

Taffaro, who received 59 percent of the vote in Saturday's runoff to defeat
Rodriguez, requested a list of contracts that will incur a financial
obligation for the parish in 2008 as well as documentation of all parish
assets valued at more than $500.

"I'm concerned that the administration might be saddling the 2008 budget
with financial activity that we don't know about," he said. "I also want to
make sure we can put our hands on everything that is on our asset list
because in six weeks, I'm going to be responsible for it."

The bad blood from the bitter election continued Monday as Rodriguez's wife
allegedly grabbed Taffaro's arm after the meeting and yelled at him,
according to Taffaro and at least a half-dozen witnesses.

"She walked in and grabbed my arm and I pulled away," Taffaro said. "She
started cursing at me and following me around the room until I walked out
the door."

Evelyn Rodriguez declined to comment when reached by phone Monday evening.

Taffaro said he planned to file a report with the Sheriff's Office but does
not intend to press charges.

"I'm filing a report just to protect myself," he said. "I'm not interested
in putting the president's wife in jail."

******

Smart idea by the way. Also, who is going to be watching whom when this
inventory process starts? <g>