[StBernard] Giving Thanks as Your Governor

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 20 21:33:14 EST 2007

Giving Thanks as Your Governor
A column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Serving as your Governor during this unprecedented time has been a tremendous honor, and as my family gathers to celebrate Thanksgiving this week, I find myself reflecting on the gift you have given me. I took office determined to create new opportunities for Louisiana's families and businesses. Thanks to the efforts of a committed workforce and reform-minded individuals across the State, we have made great progress together.

As I conclude my time in office, our State leads the largest recovery this nation has ever seen. In spite of challenges presented by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the largest natural disasters in America's history, we are moving Louisiana forward. Optimism is setting in as our recovery work becomes increasingly apparent on the streets. And just this month, I was able to travel to Capitol Hill not to ask for more help, but to say "thank you" to Congress for passing WRDA and providing $3 billion in funding for our homeowners through the Road Home program. We have laid the strong foundation needed to support a robust recovery that will continue well into the next decade.

New opportunities for Louisiana's citizens have been created in areas where they never before existed. Nowhere is this more evident than in education and economic development.

Children who once stayed home can now jump start their educations by enrolling in an expanded LA-4 program. Parents concerned about the quality of their children's education can rest assured that test scores, teacher quality, standards, accountability measures, and math and science rankings are on the rise. Students seeking new challenges can benefit from reforms of high school redesign and increased resources devoted to education. Teachers struggling to make ends meet now have more competitive pay. Better prepared students seeking higher education and career opportunities have increased access to better funded institutions.

Businesses are expanding and investing in Louisiana because of access to a skilled workforce and more competitive university-based research facilities. Increased research capacity and investments in technology are opening the door to economic diversification. State actions to cut taxes and facilitate permitting are creating a business-friendly environment. Port and roadway infrastructure improvements are paving the way to new business. More than 41,000 new jobs have been created and announced. In short, during this Administration, Louisiana has stepped squarely into the global marketplace as a real competitor, and Louisiana's workers are reaping the benefits.

Real improvements are underway in our communities, too. For the first time, a comprehensive plan is in place for hurricane protection and coastal restoration. The number of children enrolled in Louisiana's Health Insurance Program has expanded, and our increased childhood immunization! rate is unprecedented. Our juvenile justice system went from one of the worst in the nation to a national model.

The citizens of this State are strong people who get up every day with a new resolve to rebuild, recover and move forward. Louisiana is making great progress, and I thank you for the opportunity to help build the bright future our State deserves.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org