[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 20 21:58:36 EST 2007

IN THIS ISSUE

HELPING OVERRIDE THE PRESIDENTS WRDA VETO
CALLING ATTENTION TO TROUBLING ASPECTS OF THE LAW OF THE SEA TREATY
HIGHLIGHTING BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
CONFIRMING JUDICIAL NOMINEES

The past few weeks in the U.S. Senate have seen some important developments.
I was heartened by the confirmation of Judge Leslie Southwick to the U.S.
Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit but disappointed that many Senators
attempted to deny him a straight up-or-down vote. I also called attention
to some disconcerting provisions in the Law of the Sea Treaty. Several
Senators have joined me in voicing their concerns with this treaty, and I
have spoken out against this treaty on the Senate floor in recent days. We
also had a historic victory for Louisiana when the U.S. Senate voted to
override the president's veto of the Water Resources Development Act and
make that bill law.

Below you can read more about the issues I am working on in the U.S. Senate,
such as helping to override the president's veto of WRDA, highlighting
Breast Cancer Awareness Month, calling attention to troubling aspects of the
Law of the Sea treaty, confirming judicial nominees and other key issues for
Louisiana families.

David Vitter Signature

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

Helping Override the Presidents WRDA Veto

On Nov. 8, I was proud to help play a role in overriding President Bush's
veto <http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=pressroom/media> of the Water
Resources Development Act. This bill had been seven years in the making and
was of utmost importance to the state of Louisiana. WRDA initiates
comprehensive coastal restoration for our state, lays the groundwork for
category five storm protection for south Louisiana and authorizes several
local infrastructure projects throughout Louisiana.

In anticipation of President Bush's veto of WRDA, I secured commitments from
21 other Republican senators to vote in favor of a veto override. These
commitments helped swing the vote in our favor, leading the way for this
historic bill to become law. The passage of this bill is a great win for
Louisiana.

Calling Attention to the Troubling Aspects of the Law of the Sea Treaty

Last month, I sent two letters on the Law of the Sea Treaty, or LOST, to the
Senate Committees on Environment and Public Works
<http://vitter.senate.gov/forms/EPW%20LOST%20Letter.pdf> and Foreign
Relations <http://vitter.senate.gov/forms/SFRC%20LOST%20Letter.pdf> calling
for further hearings on the treaty. I believe that hasty ratification of
this treaty will have grave repercussions for American sovereignty and
national security.

LOST would place certain aspects of our national security in the hands of
international organizations, jeopardizing the safety of our country and
restricting our ability to protect ourselves and our allies. Even though I
and some other senators voted against it, the Senate Committee on Foreign
Relations had enough votes to send this treaty to the Senate floor for
debate. It is imperative that we have full opportunity to explore this
treaty and its ramifications before it is voted on by the Senate. This week,
I spoke out at great length on the Senate floor
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=pressroom/pressitem&ID=576674df-cb2c-44d6-
ae6b-abf51a119f0c> regarding this treaty, and I will continue to call
attention to the problematic aspects of LOST; we cannot afford to place our
national security interests in the hands of a misguided international body.

Highlighting Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October was National Breast Cancer Awareness month
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/VittersView&ID=318bafdb-22a6-405
f-a1ef-a631dbbbc024> , and this year I was proud to sign the Congressional
Cancer Promise, when tens of thousands of Americans affected by cancer
traveled to Washington and shared their stories of fighting this disease.
They asked members of Congress to sign this important pledge to commit the
necessary resources to fight cancer, and I was happy to do so.

As a member of the bi-partisan U.S. Senate Cancer Coalition, I am actively
working to raise awareness about screenings and treatment for breast cancer.
I believe it is imperative that we continue to elevate cancer prevention and
early detection, increase cancer research and expand access to care for this
terrible disease.

Confirming Judicial Nominees

Last month, the Senate confirmed the appointment of Judge Leslie Southwick,
the judicial nominee for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit. His
nomination was being opposed for purely partisan reasons, and this seat on
the 5th Circuit - which has jurisdiction in Louisiana - had been deemed an
emergency need to fill. Thankfully, we can now fill this critical need with
a thoughtful, strict constitutional jurist.

I believe that every judicial nominee deserves a fair hearing and an
up-or-down vote, and I am pleased that enough senators decided it was time
to overcome this filibuster of Judge Southwick. I am also working to speed
up the confirmation of David Dugas
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=c779342d-6277-4d3c-
aff3-efafc546a2d5> , the current nominee for the U.S. District Court for the
Middle District of Louisiana. His nomination has been held up for more than
six months, and it is time that he is confirmed as well.