[StBernard] Interesting idea about new hospital

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Nov 25 20:20:05 EST 2007

John, You are thinking much too short term. If the old cronies get control
of the hospital board they could potentially control projects and key
staffing for years to come. It is not just about choosing the primary
contractor to build a new hospital. It is WAY bigger than that. This could
be about control of a whole new public agency. If anybody thinks cronyism
can't happen on big contacts just think about the URG contract. Sure
nobody's relatives can bid on the primary debris contract with FEMA. But ask
yourself, did anybody's relatives end up working as a second or third tier
contractor or as the local partner for out of town contractors? You bet.
If the voters wanted the old politicians to be making these decisions they
would have re-elected them. It's that simple. Opponents of term limits have
always said, If the voters don't like the job they are doing, all they have
to do is vote the scoundrels out. This time they did! The voters want a
change, let's get on with the business of giving it to them, NOW.

Randy

> It's going to be difficult for political cronies to give the contract for

> the hospital to a "contractor buddy." A project of this size and cost will

> go out for public bid and contractors from around the state will bid on

it.

> The lowest bidder will likely win it unless the governing administration

can

> justify why the next lowest bidder (or higher) should be given the

contract.

> Typically, when that happens the low bidder will sue and likely win,

> especially if they establish the fact they were a competent contractor -

and

> such big contractors usually have a whole team of lawyers.

> Also, on a project of this size, there are "qualification" requirements,

> such as the contractor will have to provide proof to having built similar

> projects in size and cost...and there aren't many local contractors (if

any)

> in St. Bernard that have ever built anything like that. There will be no

> "local favorite" factor in the award process because federal funds will be

> used for this project, so brownie points cannot be given to a local.

> Plus, you can bet everyone (state, feds, etc.) will be watching the bid

and

> award process like a hawk. I don't believe "Parish Bubba and Friends

> Construction" really have a chance to win this project. Look for the likes

> of a Landis Construction or Brice Construction to win the contract for

this