[StBernard] Washington Report from Rep. Richard H Baker

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 30 21:49:12 EST 2007

November 30, 2007

Thank you for signing up for my e-newsletter. Below are issue updates that you may find interesting. As always, please visit my website at http://www.baker.house.gov <http://www.baker.house.gov/> for the most up-to-date news and information on what I am working on in the Sixth Congressional District of Louisiana.

Giving Thanks to Our Troops

U.S. soldiers serve in 177 countries on behalf of our nation. This means that many of our soldiers are away from their loved ones during the holiday season. I am often asked how we can show our gratitude to these brave men and women. One way to express your thanks or show your support is through the America Supports You (ASY) website. This website is part of a Department of Defense program that recognizes citizens’ support for our military and their families, at home and abroad. Since its inception in 2004, ASY has garnered the support of over 300 grassroots organizations and 35 corporate sponsors. Click here to visit the ASY site. <http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/americasupportsyou/index.aspx>

Hurricane Season Officially Over

Today marks the official end of the 2007 Atlantic hurricane season, which produced a total of 14 named storms, including six hurricanes. This is also the second year in a row that a hurricane has not made landfall in Louisiana, providing the critical opportunity for progress on hurricane protection in South Louisiana. Please click here <http://www.baker.house.gov/> to visit the Special Features section of my website to learn more about the 2007 Hurricane season.

Mideast Peace Talk Update

Earlier this week, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas met in Annapolis, Maryland for a U.S.-sponsored Mideast peace conference. The conference was comprised of 44 nations including Arab states that neighbor Israel. One major topic of the discussions was encouraging changes in Palestinian aid that will be felt by average Palestinians. By supporting financial and personnel reforms in the Palestinian Authority (PA), the U.S. and other nations have the opportunity to coordinate international giving around this strategy. This idea will focus on governance and improving conditions for the Palestinian people by putting people to work in the private sector. Establishing a regional consensus on how to help the Palestinians help themselves will remain an important aspect of future meetings and it will help the Palestinians to demonstrate that their goal of statehood is matched by a capacity to govern.

The U.S. has asked the United Nations Security Council to support a resolution endorsing the Annapolis conference goal of a Mideast peace settlement by the end of 2008. The resolution affirms the UN Security Council’s vision of a region where two states, Israel and Palestine would coexist with secure and recognized borders. The resolution also calls on all Arab states to provide support to implement the roadmap to peace agreement "by encouraging and recognizing progress and preventing any support for acts of violence or terrorism intended to disrupt their efforts." The Council is expected to vote on the resolution this week.

Toy Safety Tips for the Holiday Season

We are in the midst of the holiday buying season and with the recent product recalls, many Americans are looking for assistance when deciding what items are safe to purchase. Since October 2006, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued nearly 100 toy recalls because of lead or other hazards. One resource available is the CPSC website <http://www.cpsc.gov> , which contains the most current information on product safety. In addition, the Toy Industry Association website has detailed information <http://www.toyinfo.org/> to help consumers make informed decisions when purchasing toys.