[StBernard] 5 named to panel to explore options for new hospital

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 6 21:10:47 EST 2007

>But Councilman Craig Taffaro, who was elected parish president last

> month

>and will be sworn in Jan. 8, said he's concerned the parish could be on

> the

>hook for more than $50 million if the public hospital went bankrupt.

>"I think there's a misperception that we're getting a hospital for free

> and

>that's not true. It comes with a pretty hefty price tag," he said,

> adding

>that the parish should continue exploring other options.

Craig, did you express these opinions during the election
or at the meeting where the presentations were made
by the two groups?

During the election all I could read by various candidates
was "yeah, # 1 priority is getting a hospital."

Perhaps when the appointed Hospital Board is up and
running, they can get in contact with various other
communities where community hospitals exist and see
what financial arrangements were made
how. We know that
Cameron had a community hospital destroyed by Rita which
FEMA rebuilt for them.

Jim