[StBernard] Landrieu Sides with State Over Party in Energy Bill Vote

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 13 22:04:45 EST 2007

Landrieu Sides with State Over Party in Energy Bill Vote

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., released the
following statement after casting the sole Democratic vote opposing an
energy bill that leaves Louisiana industry footing the bill. In an
otherwise largely party-line vote of 59-to-40, supporters of the legislation
came just one vote short of the 60 required to move forward.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"One-sided policymaking solves few problems, and America's path forward
depends on a comprehensive, balanced approach to energy conservation and
domestic production. We must invest in smart energy solutions for the
future, but not at the expense of the states that strengthen our energy
security today.

"While this package included positive steps towards energy independence and
efficiency, it still left Louisiana and America's Energy Coast holding the
bill. Our energy producers would be severely disadvantaged against foreign
competitors, and our timber, pulp and paper industries would be restricted
from fully participating in the move to innovative renewable fuels."

- 30 -