[StBernard] Borrow Pits

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 21 08:52:28 EST 2007

December 20, 2007
Colonel Alvin Lee
District Commander
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New Orleans District
Post Office Box 60267
New Orleans, Louisiana 70160

Dear Colonel Lee:

I am writing to share with you my concerns about borrow pits being imposed
upon residents of southeast Louisiana who may object- particularly those in
St. Bernard Parish.

Obviously, obtaining sufficient quantities of quality building material is
critical for repairing, reconstructing, and improving the levee system
protecting southeast Louisiana. I remain supportive of your efforts to
construct our levees to the highest standards in order to ensure that future
failures do not occur; however, we must remain sensitive to the landowners
wishes and the environmental implications of borrow pits.

It is my understanding that you are in the process of evaluating several
Individual Environmental Reports (IER) to decide the suitability of sites to
serve as borrow areas. I encourage you - to the maximum extent appropriate
and allowable within the review process - to consider and evaluate the
wishes of the landowners, the community and the impacts upon the environment
when deciding if these lERs should receive your approval.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter. 1 would appreciate
your findings and views on this matter on or before January 21, 200S.

With kindest regards, I am

Sincerely,
Mary L. Landrieu
United States Senator