[StBernard] Crime St. Bernard

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 27 23:28:17 EST 2007

Chad, You are right that crime is higher in St. Tammany and other parishes.
I think it is since the population of New Orleans is spread out over these
areas and the number of transient people coming to our area to try to take
advantage or make a fast buck working. But I must say, I posted the the
story about the black men that committed the robberies and I was not being
over dramatic. I was told of this crime by the owner of the home and I've
been close friends with him for over 30 years. I believe him and he said it
was violent and his contractor was hit in the head, threatened and had a gun
put in his face. Maybe you are talking about a different crime, but this
one did take place. I don't know of your experience but mine has been to be
very careful when I am staying in St. Bernard, which is most of my time. I
also stay in Slidell on occasion and it does have more crime than before the
hurricane too. Chad, I don't know where you live, but if you live in an area
between Parish Road and St. Bernard Hwy., you probably live in a more
populated neighborhood with less damaged homes than many other areas. I'm
not trying to pick a fight with you, but I am here and I know how it is in
the parish. It's not the same, but it can be if people would come home.
I'm not trying to scare anyone away, I say people, come home and be careful
and lets make St. Bernard- St. Bernard again.

Laurie

> Jer / Bianca,

> I do not intend on getting back to my old arguments with you but I need to

> set the record straight for someone attempting to move back. Bianca asked

> question about how safe St. Bernard is, I find it funny that people NOT

> LIVING HERE would answer that question. I am not sure where you are living

> or where others are living but I have heard some pretty scary crime

stories

> from ST. TAMMANY the past few days. Slidell, Covington and Madisonville

and

> of course Orleans and Jefferson so I wouldn't say I would want to live

> anywhere other than St. Bernard right now (CRIME RELATED ONLY).

> I have been back for a long time and I have experienced none of this, some

> of the crimes happening in St. Bernard are common among all SE Louisiana

> parishes and cities. Someone posted about the two young black men that

were

> robbed, the story is true but whoever posted it went a little overboard, I

> spoke with a top official at the Sheriff's office, the gentlemen were not

> hit on the head with the gun, the black men did not say WHITE MF'ers, they

> were robbed at gunpoint for their wallets, they were not harmed. They were

> caught days later, sure some will try this sort of crime but they are

total

> idiots. Soon they will again realize when they commit it on this side of

> the PARISH LINE, they are going to get caught and spend time in JAIL, on

the

> other side of the line they will likely never see JAIL.

> Should you be careful, lock doors etc? SURE you should anywhere, that is

the

> time we live in now.

> IS ST. BERNARD SAFE? ABSOLUTELY. Still the safest in the METRO AREA. I

> believe one of the issues is the staff of the Sheriff's office, the same

> official told me they are looking to hire many more officers so I can see

> the streets getting safer as we move forward and more people like Bianca

> come home.

> I have come to have a better understanding of people who could not or

chose

> not to come back to St. Bernard. I have not gained anymore respect for

> people living OUTSIDE ST. BERNARD who intend to try to SCARE others from

not