[StBernard] Former Deputy Charged With Sex Crimes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 15 00:16:27 EST 2008

Former Deputy Charged With Sex Crimes
TheNewOrleansChannel.com
updated 7:34 p.m. CT, Mon., Jan. 14, 2008
NEW ORLEANS - A former high-ranking St. John Parish deputy has been indicted
by a state grand jury on charges of sexual assault and placed under arrest.
Click Here: Watch The Story

Multiple women said Lt. Wayne Schaeffer assaulted them.

?He grabbed me on my buttocks and then I kind of shoved him away and then he
tried to put his hand between my legs and I slapped him,? one victim
identifying herself as Jessica told WDSU.

Lisa St. Martin said Schaeffer tried to force her to perform oral sex on
him.

?Trust me, he was pulling my head down, trying to pinch me in my private
areas,? St. Martin said. ?And biting my neck. All types of stuff.?

Those making allegations against Schaeffer include a former girlfriend, a
stranger and a suspect in a theft.

The potential charges include: simple battery, malfeasance in office, sexual
battery, forcible rape and aggravated rape.

?This is a very emotional day for obvious reasons and I cannot help but to
think if appropriate action were taken in 1999 when formal complaints were
filed against Mr. Schaeffer maybe none of us would be here today,? alleged
victim Tracey Mutz said.

One of the victims said ?the straw that broke the camel?s back was when he
crushed a wine glass in my hand that required medical attention."

Late Monday, the grand jury indicted Schaeffer on charges of aggravated
rape, second degree battery and attempted sexual battery ? all felony
charges.

Schaeffer was held in lieu of a $235,000 bond.