[StBernard] LRA Chairman Applauds Governor Jindal, Congressional Delegation for Highlighting Next Steps for Recovery

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jan 26 00:07:23 EST 2008

LRA Chairman Applauds Governor Jindal, Congressional
Delegation for Highlighting Next Steps for Recovery

NEW ORLEANS (January 25, 2008) -- Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Chairman Dr. Norman C. Francis issued the following statement regarding the meeting held today in Washington, DC where Governor Bobby Jindal, R-La., U.S. Senators Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., and David Vitter, R-La., and the other members of the Louisiana congressional delegation discussed next steps for the federal government's role in Louisiana's continuing recovery efforts.

"I applaud Governor Jindal, Senator Landrieu, Senator Vitter and the entire delegation for their initiative to highlight Louisiana's ongoing recovery needs on Capitol Hill today. We've made great strides toward rebuilding a safer, stronger, smarter Louisiana, but much remains to be done.

"Although the Road Home program is now fully funded, many of our homeowners are still faced with an unfair tax burden on their rebuilding grants. Recognizing this, Governor Jindal and the members of our delegation are asking Congress to provide tax relief on Road Home grants for our families while they are discussing the $150 billion economic stimulus package. They're also asking Congress to extend the deadline for GO Zone tax credit provisions. This will allow more of our recovering businesses to benefit from these tax credits and other incentives while they are contributing to our economy.

"Comprehensive 100-year flood protection is also critical to the long-term recovery and survival of our region. The Bush Administration recently announced that $7.3 billion, including $4.4 billion in new funds, will be required to repair, restore and bulk up hurricane protection in the New Orleans area. Today, our state leaders reiterated the message that we will need continued support from the White House and members of Congress to ensure that President George Bush's pledge to complete hurricane protection upgrades by 2011 is met and that the cost-share for Louisiana is not too burdensome. And while FEMA recently stepped up to the plate to grant a limited exception on elevation funding, we still support Senator Landrieu and Senator Vitter's efforts to pass legislation that allows for greater flexibility in the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP).

"Governor Jindal, Senator Landrieu, Senator Vitter and all the members of our delegation are working to make these issues a priority on Capitol Hill, and I thank them for that. In the coming months and years ahead, we will depend on their leadership to continue building the bipartisan support we need to ensure that Louisiana's long-term recovery needs are met."

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###