[StBernard] When Insults had Class

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 5 10:50:13 EST 2008

When Insults Had Class

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
-- Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with
great pleasure." -- Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to
the dictionary." -- William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it."
--Groucho Marx

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I
approved of it." -- Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends."
--Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring
a friend... If you have one." -- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill...

followed by Churchill's response: "Cannot possibly attend first
night, will attend second, if there is one." -- Winston Churchill

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here."
-- Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." -- John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing
trivial." -- Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in
others." -- Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." -- Paul
Keating

"He had delusions of adequacy." -- Walter Kerr

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address
on it?" -- Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." --Mae
West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
-- Oscar Wilde

Lady Astor once remarked to Winston Churchill at a Dinner Party,
"Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee!" Winston
replied, "Madam, if I were your husband, I would drink it!"