[StBernard] Involuntary Demolition

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 29 17:52:08 EST 2008

have her get an attorney, but not one from the parish.

Also, can't compare Katrina/Rita to Betsy; apples and oranges.

Thee was no Road Home program then, but damages weren't as widespread as
this time and weren't the fault of Federal levee and floodwall failures.

Jim

JFR,

She signed her award two weeks before the demo and received her
check 2
days before the demo. As I said, her home WAS compliant based on the
criteria in the permits office. And, let's remeber that Betsy didn't
cause
the huge exodus of people or distruction that Katrina did, it wasn't
followed by another hurricane called Rita, and at the same time,
most
insurance companies were a little more reputable. My grandmother
lived in
New Orleans following Betsy. They lived on the corner of Magazine
and
Eleanor st. While uptown, the neighborhood still had no power for 6
months,
of course they were less reliant on power like we are today. But
because of
where there home was and because of the bus line, her home had power
before
everyone else. So neighbors put their deep freezers in her yard and
she
spent the next six months freezing blocks of water for people to
keep in
coolers and fridges. We didn't have that opportunity, not with
katrina. So
to try and compare the situati ons is not fair nor possible.

Wendy H