[StBernard] Local churches rebuild tractor-trailer for Gulf Coast trip

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 29 17:55:06 EST 2008

Article published Feb 28, 2008
Local churches rebuild tractor-trailer for Gulf Coast trip
By Mindi Westhoff/staff
mwesthoff at newsleader.com

WEYERS CAVE - When Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast in 2005, thousands
of people flocked to the area to help rebuild. Two-and-a-half years later,
one local group of churches is still at it, renovating old houses and
constructing new ones for the many homeless in Louisiana and Mississippi.

The Shenandoah District Church of the Brethren has sent a group of
volunteers every month since the hurricane to places like Biloxi, Miss.,
Lucedale, Miss., and Pearl River, La., among others.

According to disaster ministry coordinator Jerry Ruff, many areas are still
in ruins. The most recent group of volunteers to travel to Chalmette, La.,
discovered that even the Wal-Mart in the area hasn't been rebuilt.

"I don't think people are aware of the total devastation," he said.

Though they've been at it for more than two years, Ruff said they have at
least two more years to go.

"A lot of organizations go in right when (a disaster) happens, but this is a
long-term project," said project manager Warren Rodeffer. "We go in and
stay, because we know these people still need help."

In light of their long-term dedication, the district members have
refurbished a donated tractor-trailer so volunteers will have a place to
stay in Chalmette for the next few months. Many times, volunteers have to
stay in the same trailers designated for residents whose homes have been
destroyed, and they are rarely large enough to hold the 13 to 15 volunteers
who show up.

"We got a feel for what these people have had to put up with for two years,"
Rodeffer said of the trailers.

The new "bunk trailer" has three compartments with beds, doors and windows,
and can hold at least 15 people. It arrived in Chalmette on Sunday, and will
stay there for future Church of the Brethren volunteers.

"We've been able to double the capacity now," Ruff said, adding that there
are often more volunteers than the church can handle.

With more room to work with, the district is encouraging more people to sign
up for the trips, even if they are not members of Church of the Brethren.

For more information or to sign up for a trip to Chalmette, go to
www.shencob.org or call Jerry Ruff at 447-0306 or Warren Rodeffer at
471-7738