[StBernard] After trying times, it's good to be back

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 6 16:58:00 EST 2008

After trying times, it's good to be back
Thursday, March 06, 2008
By Earl Hodges
I have to admit, this is a column I thought I'd never write again.

After Hurricane Katrina, I didn't know whether the St. Bernard Picayune
would be published again. To say it's good to be back doesn't do justice to
how I feel to have the opportunity to write this column.

Now that the St. Bernard Picayune has returned, I'm looking forward once
again to focusing on St. Bernard's places of worship, as well as events in
those places and the people who make it all possible. Contact me at (504)
887-4731 or earlhodges at msn.com with your church news.

. . . . . . .

Like many other churches, Our Lady of Prompt Succor Catholic Church in
Chalmette was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. But it didn't shake the faith
of its pastor, the Rev. Danny Digal.

"This has been a very difficult time for us," said Digal, pastor of the
church since 2003. "But one thing that hasn't been lost is our faith. We
have remained steadfast in our faith, untiring in hope and constant in
love."

After Katrina, Our Lady of Prompt Succor began holding services in November
2005 and moved into its building in January 2006. The church now boasts 800
families.

Our Lady of Prompt Succor School, which provides parochial education for
children in pre-kindergarten through eighth grades, is still rebuilding too.
In March 2006, the school had 22 students. Current enrollment is 400.

"After Katrina it was like, 'Where do we start? We have nothing. Where do
you begin?' " Digal said.

Digal soon learned that Our Lady of Prompt Succor wasn't alone.

"Churches all over America came to our rescue, and that's why we were able
to rebuild so quickly," he said. "They gave us financial, emotional, moral
and prayer support."

The emotional support played a key role in helping Digal and other church
leaders keep going through some of the darkest times after Katrina.

"We received thousands of cards and letters of support from people we don't
even know," Digal said. "The generosity of the American people has been
overwhelming. It has been so beautiful."

Digal said he sees a positive future for the parish.

"I'm optimistic about St. Bernard," Digal said. "Of course it's sad that so
many of my formerly active members didn't return to the parish, but we have
to move on."

And as Our Lady of Prompt Succor moves forward, Digal plans to be there
encouraging people to keep the faith.

"We have to remember to thank God for all we have and celebrate life," Digal
said. "This is God's church."

Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church is located at 2320 Paris Road in Chalmette.
For more information, call (504) 271-3441.

Earl Hodges writes about church news in St. Bernard. He can be reached at
(504) 887-4731 or earlhodges at msn.com.