[StBernard] Courthouse blues

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 9 14:45:21 EDT 2008

""The courthouse is a public building owned and maintained by the
Parish Counsel. ""

Maybe someone could clarify this for me.

While the courthouse, like libraries and firestations are public buildings,
my belief is that they are owned by the people of St Bernard Parish.

Was the courthouse built with tax dollars? The Firehouses and Library
were. My understanding is that the Palmisano Library Land was purchased
with dedicated tax dollars. The New Library Land was purchased with
dedicated tax dollars by a vote of the people; to purchase land and to
construct a new library at that Judy/Bartolo Drive location. That vote
cannot be changed without another vote of the people on that issue.

Maybe someone could give further explanation about the council owning our
public land. Perhaps that is just a description of their accountability
and whose responsibility it is to maintain public buildings. But we the
people own them.

SJK