[StBernard] Jer

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 18 21:18:54 EDT 2008

Howard,

I'm sure you can sense I don't disagree with you at all. In fact,
everything you say reflects what I've always felt, that being St. Bernard's
success in rebuilding will be attributed to its people getting it done for
themselves and each other - not any leadership from the government. You
probably feel as I do that more is accomplished when people empower one
another.

I've done what I could, in my own little way, as many I'm sure have done far
more. It's funny to say, but as long as I'm having to live outside of St.
Bernard, I will always care more about what's good for St. Bernard than any
community I will live - even if that turns out to be for the rest of my
life. I don't mean anything bad about St. Tammany, but it's not home.

I'm sure we all feel we owe St. Bernard something for what it's given to me,
you and all. (Perhaps I should mention to everyone you and I grew up
together as neighborhood friends on Veronica Drive)...that's why I care so
much about what goes on, even if I'm not physical there to do something
about it - maybe that's what makes this so frustrating. I would like to
think that's what Jerry is going through as well. That's why even if I
don't always agree with him, I'll always defend him in what he says - praise
and criticism alike.

On a personal note, I hope you and your family, and your mom and dad are
doing well. Please tell him hello for me.

Johnny