[StBernard] HBO's John Adams

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Mar 22 21:04:00 EDT 2008

John,

I, too, have been watching "John Adams". I agree with you and find it to be
wonderfully done. I am enjoying recalling some of the history I learned in
school that I had forgotten. It is very well done and thought provoking. I
must say I was especially disturbed by the by the scene with the British
customs director (or was he the tax collector?) being tarred and feathered.
I didn't realize how horrible that mob punishment was! Horrible!! Seeing
how severe small pox were back then was also very disturbing. Thank God for
modern medicine. Watching this program will make you appreciate our
wonderful country and all that was sacrificed, and also the hardships, bared
by our fore fathers. We've come a long way.

Laurie

> If you've missed it, I highly recommend watching HBO's mini series "John

> Adams" starring Paul Giamatti. I have nothing but praise after watching

the

> first two installments, which HBO often repeats. Based on historian (and

> documentary narrator) David McCullogh's novel, it shows the nitty-gritty

> politics of how our founding fathers created this great nation of ours.

> The script's dialogue often comes right out of the minutes and manuscripts

> of the Continental Congress, so what you hear the actors say is nearly

> verbatim from the debates and discussions they had in Philadephia on how

> they would declare independence from Great Brittain. It's extremely well

> done.

> One of my favorite line thus far naturally came from Benjamin Franklin.

> When asked by John Adams if he agreed that "expressing one's thinking

aloud

> was a good thing," Franklin quickly replied "oh, absolutely not, I've

often

> found thinking aloud has been the cause of most of the world's misery."

> The program also dispells the myth that our founding fathers were all

weathy