[StBernard] Raise for St. Bernard president proposed

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 21 07:47:46 EDT 2008

Laurie,

I agree with what you say, but at this point I'll give Craig the benefit of
the doubt that he's not behind this. Still, as I pointed out, he can
certainly help himself out by publicly stating his opposition to the salary
hike proposal...that would definitely add to his credibility.

It's really foolish to draw comparisons to other parishes - that is not the
appropriate measure of comparison. In this situation the priniciples of
economics dictate the true comparison is not what our parish president makes
to that of other parish presidents, but rather the salary one person serving
as parish president is willing to work for compared to another.

My contention is there are likely other citizens in St. Bernard who would be
willing to serve as parish president for even less money than the current
salary. In fact, we had a person serve as parish president who worked for
only $1 a year - and he did a pretty decent job of bringing St. Bernard run
government out of the "dark ages" of parish politics.

John Scurich