[StBernard] Word from Washington: Honoring Our Veterans and Troops this Memorial Day

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon May 26 22:38:36 EDT 2008

On this Memorial Day, I am reminded yet again of the great sacrifice so many
brave Americans have made for our nation over the past two centuries. I
encourage you to join me in honoring the servicemen and women who have given
their lives in defending our freedom, and celebrate the great country we
have today because of their sacrifices.

Recently, Congress has passed several pieces of legislation intended to
better the lives of those men and women who have served in the Armed Forces
- both veterans and active duty -- and their families. Just last week, the
House of Representatives passed in one day ten different bills benefiting
veterans. Here are a few of the highlights.

New G.I. Education Bill for the 21st Century

When World War II ended, millions of our brave servicemen came home from the
battlefields of Europe and the Pacific and entered our nation's classrooms.
An entire generation of veterans received a higher education thanks to the
original G.I. Bill, putting them on a course toward great achievement and
ushering in one of the longest periods of economic prosperity our country
had ever seen.

Our nation is poised to offer that great opportunity to a new generation of
brave men and woman. On May 15, the House passed a 21st Century G.I.
Education Bill that would close the financial gap servicemen and women face
when returning home from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Current
educational benefits pay only 70% of a public college education and
Reservists and National Guardsmen, who have made an unprecedented commitment
with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, get only a fraction of that.

The New G.I. Bill would raise that benefit amount to 100% of the cost of
tuition, fees, and books at whatever in-state public university they choose
to attend. In addition, the bill would offer these increased educational
benefits to all members of the military who have served for at least three
months on active duty since September 11, 2001, including activated
Reservists and National Guard.

I strongly supported the new G.I. Bill. A college education is an essential
tool in the current job market and those who have risked their lives in
serving our country certainly deserve every opportunity to succeed when
their careers with the military come to an end. The New G.I Bill is long
overdue and shows true support for our troops when they come home from the
battlefield. Our veterans have selflessly invested so much of themselves in
the defense of this country and I am proud to support this investment in
them.

Increasing Military Pay and Veterans Health Care

Over the course of the last year my colleagues and I in Congress have
focused on some critical veterans affairs issues that had gone mostly
ignored in previous years. We passed the largest increase in federal funding
for veteran's health care in our nation's history last year. Recently, we
have been building on that commitment by supporting policies that will bring
more comprehensive medical and disability resources to our nation's vets.

This month, we passed the following legislation to help veterans:

* Substance abuse treatment. This bill authorized the expansion and
improvement of health care services available to veterans from the
Department of Veterans Affairs for substance use disorders -- requiring the
VA to provide the full continuum of care for substance use disorders at
every VA medical center (H.R. 5554).
* Emergency care reimbursement. Requires the VA to reimburse veterans
receiving emergency treatment in non-Department of Veterans Affairs
facilities (H.R. 3819).
* Cost of living increase for disabled veterans. Provides a cost of
living increase for veterans' disability benefits and to dependency and
indemnity compensation for veterans' families, effective December 1, 2008.
The cost-of-living increase is based on the cost-of-living adjustment made
annually for Social Security payments (H.R. 5826).
* VA Medical Construction. Authorizes major medical facility projects
and major medical facility leases for the Department of Veterans Affairs for
fiscal year 2009 (H.R. 5856).

We have also enacted the Wounded Warrior Assistance Act this year to
identify problems and gaps in care at Walter Reed Medical Center and other
soldiers' and veterans' health care facilities throughout the country.

In addition, the House just passed the Defense Authorization Bill that
included a 3.9 percent increase in military pay for soldiers - a larger
increase the President requested. I am very pleased this Congress has made
addressing the needs of our veterans and active duty military a top
priority, and I will continue to push for bills like these that support our
men and women in uniform.

In closing, I want to mention again how honored I am to represent the people
of south Louisiana in Congress. My door is always open for constituents who
want to voice their opinions on the many issues facing south Louisiana and
the country.

Regards,

Charlie Melancon