[StBernard] Who's pushing the buttons?

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 27 23:52:39 EDT 2008

This is nothing new. During the years I served as a legislative assistant
during session I commonly witnessed this. Once I believe I pissed off
another legislator when I refuesed after he asked me to push a vote button
for another legislator who had stepped outside the House chamber. But, this
was just me...all to often you saw non-legislators (staff) sitting in the
reps chair and pushing his/her machine as well as other legislators.

I recall one of my first days up at the capital, I was sitting in the House
chamber when State Rep. Warren Triche (from Thibodaux) came up to me and
introduced himself. He saw I reading a copy of the House Rules. He leaned
over and pointed out the section where there are bullet points on the
"Cannot do.." and humorously told me "ahh, you can igonore those." And he
was right, they were commonly ignored.

The article does correctly point out about legislators during a vote
requesting a quorum or lock out vote. Boy, did that piss off a lot of
legislators...they hated that because it forced them to stop b.s.ing out in
the lobby and run back into the chamber to pay attention. These particular
legislators didn't like being interrupted when being worked by lobbyist -
guess it cut into their scheduling a free lunch or something.

Former House Speaker Hunt Downer (now General Downer of the La. National
Guard) ran a pretty tight ship when it came to such b.s. - and of course
many legislators resented him for that, but I always admired that about him.
Anyway, the quorum call or lock out vote was often effective and still is.

John Scurich