[StBernard] Parish Resident Or Not

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 23 22:35:50 EDT 2008

Here we go again.

Still have not defined in detail what constitutes the requirement of
"living in the parish".

Once again we have people qualifying for elected positions listing their
permanent residence as St. Bernard. Yes there is a trailer or shell of a
house, with a electric bill, water bill, and a mail box. However if one
would track exactly how much time some of them are actually "living" at the
address used for qualifying it would be minimal. How much actual electricity
is being consumed?

Seems that the people on our current payroll, that actually reside most of
the time outside of St. Bernard, in much larger homes, have also gotten
smarter by not claiming a homestead exemption at either location.

They are not spending their money at our groceries, gas stations, Home Depot
etc. They are giving other parishes the sales tax advantage.

Something needs to be done about this.

jd