[StBernard] Which engineer would you hire?

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 7 08:22:28 EDT 2008

John,

I couldn't agree with you more. Obama is scary in that we don't really know
him or enough about him and he is sorely lacking in experience. He is
personable, attractive, and a wonderful speaker. That's it. He says what
you want to hear, yeah, like a con man. He cannot possibly accomplish all,
or even some of what he is promising. That is why he is crawfishing
(translation: flip-flopping, or redefining, or clarifying as he likes to put
it) what he says when he gets called out on his statements. I think he has
good intentions, but he is green and naive, or he thinks we are stupid.

Laurie

> Oh, c'mon Wendy, if you'd like I'll be happy to rewrite my story and add

> about 20 or 30 more negative points about Obama and why his inexperience

or

> experience at flip-flopping on issues make him a poorer engineering

> candidate. My point was to simply point out history shows the ineptness of

> no experience, even if we're not so happy with the expectation of present

> experence.

> As for Einstein, actually he "didn't" have much to do with the development

> of the atomic bomb. Sure, he hung around Los Alamos...as a courtesy and

out

> of respect for his intellect he was invited by Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer

> (the father of the atomic bomb) to participate in its research and to

> provide input, valuabe it was, during its research and development.

> Oppenheimer was the lead scientist on the Manhattan Project since he was

the

> first to successfully carry out a controlled experiment of splitting the

> atom. However, if credit is to be properly given here, it is Italian

> physicist Enrico Fermi who many give most of the credit since he developed

> the nuclear reactor capable of producing a bomb the size of Fat Man and

> Little Boy. But did I forget to mention Einstein was "old" and experienced

> when he went to Los Alamos. I serously doubt he'd have been invited right

> out of college. Anyway, enough of the history lesson.

> And for the record, I don't think engineer McCain paid off any inspector

or

> filled out paper work wrong..those are presumptions on your part and

without

> merit. Nothing in my anology of Obama was incorrect...was it? No need here

> to make up stuff on the other candidate just because Obama doesn't have a

> record of accomplishment.

> As you put it, nobody is perfect thus no candidate perfectly appealing. I

> just pointed out how when you add up all the pros and cons, I go with the

> safer bet...thus why we have old sayings like "one in the hand beats two

in

> the bush." Obama reminds me of a used car salesman making promises he

can't

> keep or simply telling me what he thinks I want to hear. At least McCain

is

> only promising to work to try and improve things - and that's all I want a

> candidate to say. Trust in its most simple terms is the issue. A candidate

> with new ideas and promising me the world comes across as a con man. I'm

> tired of "I feel your pain" candidates.

> I like to use examples, so let me use one from an excellent movie I

recently

> watched.."The Pursuit of Happyness" with Will Smith. There's a scene where

> he's trying to land the investment account of a huge corporate executive.

> The executive is genuinely impressed with Smith (his character) and

listens

> to everything he has to say - all his "great" ideas, his enthusiasm, etc.

> But a moment later when this exec learns Smith is new and just starting

out

> as a stock broker, he generally tells Smith..."look, you're a great guy,

> impressive, good ideas and so on, but there's no way we are going to trust

> you with a multi-million dollar account with no track record of any kind

of

> financial success...as he precisely put it, "it's not going to happen."

And

> that is the "reality" of people who make "sound" busines decisions. I

apply

> that to this presidential race and that's why I'm supporting McCain - even

> with any faults he might have - at least he has some record of

> accomplishment, if nothing else being able to work with the Democrats

across