[StBernard] Redfish Cup

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 15 18:00:39 EDT 2008

Ref: Redfish Cup -
Yes Jer, it appeared that the numbers were inflated. I attended each day for
the original event in 2005 almost the entire time. In no way the total
attendees for the 3 days were anywhere near 10K.
When the ESPN show aired for the 2005 event, we had been told that they were
going to showcase St. Bernard. BS. Didn't happen so what makes this years
event any different?
The parish Redfish Cup committee,, Mrs. McDougal, Joey Difatta and Charlie
Ponstein were reported in the local news to have traveled again this year
to make preparations for this years event. Then the final weight in and
splash down round is scheduled the same day as the Blessing of the Fleet.
Now they need to shuttle people from the St. Bernard Civic Center down the
road to the event. Who's paying for the fuel and the payroll for the SPURT
drivers or whoever the tourist office has hired to support this effort?
Yes the tourist commission had received a 200K grant since the storm. I
would hope that this effort is not consuming any of these funds.
Maybe the state is funding the bill. Would be nice to know. jwd