[StBernard] Redfish Cup to lure anglers to Hopedale

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Aug 16 00:14:07 EDT 2008

Negative? As in losing money? I've gotten info back in 2005 of which I
stated. From those that have attended, etc. that the crowds were way down
from a previous outing.

Sure, having a national event is fine. Stating the facts vs. the Rodriguez
governments "spin machine" of press releases of over 1000 was exaggerated by
what I heard. I never attended, true. I'm going by those with whom I spoke,
pictures of what I've seen (good measure of non-failure) and knowing a bit
about successes in attendance vs. mental lapses of what people forgot. I
would venture to say that had not Katrina decimated St. Bernard Parish the
organizers of the national Red Fish cup probably would not have had the
"sympathy" to continue to hold it in a depressed economy but to pass up the
area in favor of one that is thriving. Facts, not imagination, fiction nor
gross exaggeration. The sponsors and Redfish Cup promoters nationwide would
have looked at attendance, etc. as well. True, some money was brought into
da parish, and God knows that always helps. But just don't inflate how much
was brought in as in the past.

#88, "Don't worry about Jer?" I do.

We pray that it will be successful and get more than 10,000 there. But, if a
fraction of that appears to be the case this year it will be evident in
those who attended and are honest about their truthful assessment of the
attendance figures, etc.

St. Bernard certainly needs to make a profit, gain notoriety as a
"fisherman's paradise" (per Louisiana's moniker) and gain momentum as a
fantastic place to live (for sportsman as well as inhabitants).

We just don't want to exaggerate the attendance figures or promote
"tremendous success" as a spin to glorify governments, do we?

I believe that crowds (those equal to unqualified successes elsewhere and
not get results as expected:(ie. expecting 10,000 and getting 2-3,000) are
not "very successful". That many and more is realized in the crawfish
festival, Islenos' festival etc. (which by the way would like to see more
people support and attend).

Yes, everyone should go (which would make the event "more successful" if
tallies hold true to expectations).

Remember, lying .. ain't buying. If they don't go, they don't show. And, if
figures are escalated to glorify a tourism department, put notches on a
government's "gun stock", etc. will not necessarily make an event
successful.

Honesty, after the event would tell us the truth about whether the real
measure of success is reached: Very successful crowds in attendance and huge
bucks made by the event--not just 2,000 people having a good time with which
they had to deal.

Lastly, let's pray the determining factor is never met: rain or storm. God
pray for a good day which would help us measure the day's success.

--jer--