[StBernard] Memory test: Why did the U.S. go into Iraq?

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 15 15:12:07 EDT 2008

Sure, besides it's weapons of mass destruction (including biological agents
found), we have to look at the massacring of its people within its border.
Then there's a settle to score for Iraq crossing its border in '91 to invade
Kawait. Or perhaps to seize control of oil markets and throw worldwide panic
into the mix. World domination? Who knows? His evil mind was hell-bent on
the destruction of Israel (and yes, the U.S. AND its allies).

He was evil. He was given so many opportunities for discussion and plead his
case prior to the war. He chose to ignore and take on the world (and we sure
the Muslim world (for the most part) really enjoyed his spunkiness.

We also can't forget the threat on George Herbert W. Bush's life.

So, the aim is to stabilize an out of control country in an unstable region
of our world. Does anyone know what happens when the world's lifeblood is
stopped? There is panic in the markets, oil shooting to $20+ a barrel,
instability in the world (especially since China's population warrants
hijacks of oil tankers destined for the U.S.

The ultimate solution is to drill temporarily, but frantically seek other
alternatives as quickly as possible. We've seen how panic (ie. price
gouging, shortages) can line us up at the pumps for hours only to find no
gas left and have to find others somewhere to start the waiting process over
again. 1979-81 memories come to mind.

Lastly, I don't know how long it will take to solve the oil crisis (perhaps
not in my lifetime). Modernization has initiated a complexity to a problem
that is not resolved overnight. There are far too many opinions and
counter-advice which compounds the problem.

I pray that someday, someone can turn off the oil spigots and allow the
fatcats in the Muslim/European/Asian world to drink their oil for breakfast,
lunch and dinner (and perhaps more with their bedtime medicine (ulcers).

--jer--