[StBernard] St. Bernard Council moves to create new hospital board

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 17 09:24:39 EDT 2008

Lauga said: "Everybody I've talked to who has a legal background said this
would be an
open-and-shut case," he said. "I don't want our hospital project to get tied
up in the courts."

Mr.Lauga should cite the legal authorities he has talked to. I would hope
he means he spoke to attorneys. Speaking to someone "with a legal
background" could mean a notary, a legal secretary, paralegal or whatever.

Lauga further said: "...the firms that were not chosen could file a
lawsuit. "

Well hell, anyone can file a lawsuit. All it takes is one shyster lawyer
and the court fees.

>Voting to introduce the ordinance to appoint a new board were

councilmembers Ray >Lauga, George Cavignac, Michael Ginart and Polly
Boudreaux. And especially Ms. Boudreaux since she has been in the thick of
things during the past 3 years.

Said council members should go ON THE RECORD IN PUBLIC about WHY they want a
new board appointed. The two physicians on the board have publicly stated
they would recuse themselves; that should be sufficient.

>Taffaro said he would not sign over the money until he has resignations

from

>both doctors in hand.

To me, without explaining himself and his actions, this speaks volumes
about the current president. He needs to make a public statement
about why he wants the resignation of the two physicians on the
board.

>Tensions have risen in recent months with parish residents voicing

>frustration that three years after Katrina destroyed the privately-owned

>Chalmette Medical Center, a new hospital is still three years away.

The elected representatives, and I stress the word "elected" would be wise
to recognize
that what was done, (i.e. electing them) can be undone also. That is what
recall peitions are for. And that goes for the Council as well as the
Executive.

The Council and the President need to stop the bullsh!t and start acting in
the interest of
the people who put them in office. The electorate is not stupid and is all
too familiar with
the shenanigans that Parish government has pulled before. They need to have
a representative of the medical profession with expertise in this field on
this board for the Hospital District. Without that expertise, how can
non-medical lay people make an informed decision on the presentations that
will be made for the choice of a hospital
provider?

Truthfully, I think the fix has been in, and the fearsome foursome plus the
President simply do not want anyone on the board that may disagree with
their pre-determined choice.