[StBernard] New Rules (as Bill Maher says)

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 17 09:25:22 EDT 2008

Oh John, it drove me nuts! This gal's singing reminded me of a cat in heat!
And actually, I thought I heard a few boos from the stadium. I think the
only one I ever heard that was worse was Roseanne Barr's singing of the
Anthem. And even dear old Aaron Neville had to add some twists which I
thought inappropriate.

In other countries, they don't feel a need to interpret their anthem. Don't
hear it with "God Save the Queen", I haven't heard it with "La Marseillaise"
or with "Deutschland über alles" or with "Oh Canada".

Oh well, glad to know it got on someone else's nerves too. I was beginning
to think I was
becoming a crusty old bastard! LOL!

JY
-

JY,

For quite some time this has been a sore subject for me. You hit
the nail
squarely on the head. Our nation's anthem is not an opportunity for
you to
show off everything you learned in Gospel choir or jazz class. I
feel it
shows disrespect. When these performers giver their own "personal
interpretation" of the national anthem it is no different from you
changing
a few words in the Lord's Prayer. Both are meant to be said (or
performed)
in a particular manner.

Let me add this. Although it is so common, I wonder how many people
know
you are not really supposed to applaud after the performance of the
national
anthem? I heard this as child from my parents and grandparents.
I'm not
as
fussy about this, but I used to hear this all the time from my
elders.

John Scurich