[StBernard] Boustany Introduces Evacuation Assistance Bill

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 19 22:01:13 EDT 2008

Boustany Introduces Evacuation Assistance Bill
September 17, 2008

Washington, D.C. - U.S. Representative Charles W. Boustany, Jr.,
(R-Southwest Louisiana), today introduced the Evacuee Assistance Act of 2008
to help reimburse the costs of evacuating for residents under mandatory
evacuation orders.

"Traveling across Acadiana and Southwest Louisiana to view the destruction
of hurricanes Gustav and Ike, I saw the hard work lying ahead firsthand,"
Boustany said. "I also saw the difficulty many in our area are having
meeting the expensive costs of evacuating. This is why I introduced the
Evacuee Assistance Act of 2008 today. My bill is a starting point that
would provide some help to residents who heeded mandatory evacuation orders
by reimbursing evacuees up to $2,000 to cover travel and lodging in the form
of tax credits."

Boustany's bill, H.R. 6918, provides tax credit reimbursement for evacuation
costs incurred by individuals who live in areas under mandatory evacuation
orders. Under current law, residents do not necessarily receive any
assistance with evacuation expenses.

Boustany continued, "Many constituents tell me their evacuation expenses
totaled over $600 per family. Residents of Southwest Louisiana should not
be discouraged by the government to evacuate in the wake of a mandatory
evacuation because of the cost."