[StBernard] SDT non-processing waste transfer site

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 20 15:10:27 EDT 2008

SJK: The said part from what I've read lately in the Voice is that even if
the Planning Commission votes No, it will go before the Council and get
passed.

LJ

Public Hearing Tuesday September 23, 2008 4pm
Council Chambers of the St Bernard Parish Government Complex
8201 West Judge Perez Drive
Chalmette, LA

Zoning Change Request from A1 Rural to I2 Heavy Industrial for a
non-processing transfer station waste facility for SDT Waste and
Debris
Services, LLC
Docket 15-08 Shevravast Investment LLC represented by Sidney D
Torres, IV

Without a municipal address, the best description managed without
all the
legal townships and designations
is:

The property petitioned to be re-zoned is located south of Bayou
Bienvenue
on the east side of Paris Road just north of the St Bernard Parish
Sheriff's
Office Substation and behind the old TNT Marine building. This
location is
approximately located at 5433 or 5441 Paris Road, Chalmette, LA. As
viewed
from a google map, it is north of the Marina Road and Paris Road
intersection and seems to be the "lot" that extends farthest east
towards
the bayou where Marina Road extends into Marina Estates and curves
back
towards the west.

The zoning public hearing scheduled for Tuesday September 23, 2008
at 4pm in
the council chambers is to include a presentation by SDT Waste and
Debris
Services, LLC. Mr Sidney Torres, IV has stated the proposed
facility will
be completely enclosed with appropriate environmental improvements.

SJK
my unsolicated two cents worth:
Trying my darnest to keep an open
mind on this particular project and the
current agreement between St Bernard Parish Government and SDT WDS.
reserving comment on the environmental improvements until after the
presentation and the availability to review the wetlands survey and
other
materials. Hopefully the planning commission allows a public
comment period
after the presentation and before their vote on any recommendations.

There is a new LDEQ regulation for non-processing waste facilities
that
calls for a 200' buffer zone; one which I am certain SDT has already
incorporated in their proposal.

LAC 33:VII.508.B New facilities in which construction has commenced
after
June
20, 2007 shall comply with the buffer zone requirement of not less
than 200
feet
between the facility and the property line.

Just wondering what the planning commission's definition of buffer
zone
will
be in this context and would hope it doesnot
intend this 200 feet to be
utilized for industrial~commercial buildings to transition from the
industry
to the community. HINT: we expect it to be landscaped "greenspace"
; )

In our community, I see an unfortunate pattern of landuse decisions
that go
from R1 or A1 straight to I2 Heavy Industrial. I2 is always
conditional by
definition and yet as we saw in the Murphy Oil Meraux refinery
petition for
the petrochemical laboratory, it doesnot take much to continue the
I2 from
one heavy waste user to another heavier waste user with or without
and
sometimes within the buffer zone. And once A1 Rural or R1
residential is
gone, its gone. Our council members are making more and more
decisions
which are making us an extremely heavily industrialized region with
recreational and residential usage precariously located too close to
the
industry(s). The residents are the ones who must live with the
consequences
of
added truck traffic, particulate matter in the air, and the other
consequences to our natural resources, health and environment. Lets
hope
this project is approached nonpolitically and that at the v ery
least the
newly assessed $20 a month garbage fee could be cancelled.

SJK