[StBernard] Levee district to collect extra taxes

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 21 10:20:50 EDT 2008

While the article states that the Levee Board is operating in the hole,
there is no mention that the assessed property values in St. Bernard were
lowered for the past two years, based on the reduced property values as a
result of Katrina. What the article DOES NOT STATE is the fact that the tax
bills going out this December will be slightly higher than pre-Katrina. I
have received notice that my tax bill will be just over $1,200, and believe
me, I hate the thought of one extra dime going to the Levee District based
upon the way the 90 arpent canal is being maintained. While the storm
eliminated the nutria, the rats are going while and the vegetation
overgrowth is only providing them with the means to move around during the
day. I maintain an area measuring approximately 50 x 100 feet between my
home and the canal, which used to supplement the Levee Board's grass
cutting. Now, I am the only one cutting it. The weeds in the canal are
over 5 feet tall, and if we would have had the rain anticipated for Gustav,
the canal (and surrounding streets) would have flooded. When I call and ask
them to spray, at least once, I was informed that the oil spray used to kill
the vegetation is too expensive. Maybe this increase will provide the money
to spray and/or cut the weeds.............................we will see.

John R