[StBernard] St. Bernard new Director of Animal Control

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 20 17:23:01 EDT 2008

Beth Brewster hired as Director of Animal Control in St. Bernard Parish

Former director of St. Tammany Humane Society hopes to increase adoptions

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro Jr. has hired Beth Brewster as
the new parish Director of Animal Control.

She brings with her 15 years of business and management experience and was
previously director of the St. Tammany Humane Society, a 53-year-old
not-for-profit, non-kill shelter in Covington. In that capacity she worked
very closely with the St. Tammany Parish Department of Animal Services in
trying to find homes for all adoptable animals.

In one instance, when the St. Tammany department of animal services became
overcrowded, the society housed 85 Chihuahuas and other small breeds and
then successfully adopted all of them after having them spayed and neutered.

"I am excited about the rebuilding of St. Bernard Parish," Brewster said.
"As a wildlife rehabilitator for 15 years, I have always enjoyed working
with animals. I am excited about the rebuilding of the new shelter and
building new programs, including expanding the adoption efforts."

Brewster serves on the Governor's Council for Pet Overpopulation, which is
trying to raise money by selling pet friendly license plates to help fund
low cost spay and neuter programs.

Brewster is coming to the parish through a cooperative agreement with the
parish, the Louisiana SPCA and Humane Society of the United States. She
hopes to use her non-profit experience and relationships with national
organizations to bring new funding into the parish for the shelter.

###