[StBernard] The Powell Obama endorsement and McCain's using liberal music

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 20 21:03:49 EDT 2008

Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama.

So former general Colin Powell has endorsed Barack Obama - what a shock!
(yawn). I have been hoping all along that Powell would "not" come out for
McCain. I, along with others who follow national politics, are very
knowledgeable of the fact that Powell is NOT a conservative. And if he
thinks he is, then he's a conservative "wimp." At least this is belief held
among Republicans in the know.

Just read Bob Woodward's book "The Commanders." It's an insight into the
first Persian Gulf War focusing on former President Bush, Dick Cheney
(Defense Secretary) and Gen. Colin Powell (Chair of the Joint Chiefs) and
the interaction between the three men. It was obvious from Woodward's
perspective that Powell is a huge pacifist. After the book came out there
were high ranking members in the GOP that wanted Powell out of the picture.
They felt, as I do, he was (and still is) a big wimp when it comes to
positioning the United States in international affairs. I thought he was a
horrible choice by W as his Secretary of State and was happy the day he
stepped down.

Why a wimp? I am not a war-happy person, but once the decision has been
made to go to war we must have leadership that is visibly committed to
victory - Powell has "never" displayed that kind of fortitude - you can't
have a general leading the world's most powerful military who is "afraid to
fight." He is a liberal in conservative clothing. So, he's backing Obama -
I for one welcome it because once and for all this will make the GOP
peramanently severe ties to him. I say good riddance.

I should note Michael Powell, Colin's son, former FCC Chairman and someone I
really like for standing up to the networks/broadcasters forcing them to go
digital/HD, is a true conservative and actively campaigning for John McCain.

Music artist tell McCain "stop using our music".

This is so dumb. At various campaign stops and in some of his tv spots,
McCain has featured some music by liberal recording artists who support
Obama. Some, like Jackson Browne, a gigantic liberal, is even filing a suit
to stop McCain. There's only one problem with their complaint - and
Jackson's suit - they gonna lose! You see, under ASCAP copyright laws for
music, a person only needs permission from the copyright holder if the music
is to be used for any purpose where money is being charged for
entrance/attendance or fundraising purposes.

In all of the examples where the McCain campaign have used the said music,
there was no charge to enter/attend the event nor were financial donation
asked for. In other words, they were legal. Also, in McCain's tv spots
it's perfectly legal to use them because a political campaign is legally
categorized as a non-profit entity and political commercials (provided
donations are not being asked for) can use any music they want - copyrighted
or not. Besides, do you think for one moment McCain's experienced media
people aren't familiar with copyright laws? Believe me, they contacted and
probably personally know someone over at ASCAP to inform them they were
going to use the music for purposes well within legal parameters.

You see, to sue someone successfully on copyright infringement, you need to
prove damages - which in this case is "really" hard to do - and simply
saying "I don't like him and don't want him using my music" aint' gonna cut
it with the man in the long, black robe. Now, if McCain somehow financially
benefits from using the music, they can get compensatory damages - but again
the problem here is McCain's not selling anything or asking for anything
where he will receive money for it.

These recording artist aren't supporting McCain and nobody listens to them
on politics anyway. So their telling their fans "don't vote for McCain
cause he's using my music in his tv ads" isn't even going to be heard by the
so called fan. These recording artists are such idiots. They don't realize
all they are doing is giving a good promo to McCain by bitching about it.
The smart thing for them to have done would have been to issue a simple
media statement saying the McCain campaign using their music is in no way an
endorsement and they are in fact supporting Barack Obama - and leave it at
that. I hope McCain ignores them and keeps right on using their music as he
sees fit.

I'm starting to agree with something Howard Stern has said about people in
the movie and music industries..."I really don't care much for anyone in
movies or music who think what they do is actually of any importance."

John Scurich