[StBernard] 17 Arrested In Child Sex Roundup

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 7 19:59:20 EST 2008

17 Arrested In Child Sex Roundup
WDSU.com
updated 6:19 p.m. CT, Fri., Nov. 7, 2008
NEW ORLEANS - A multi-agency task force has arrested 17 Louisiana men on
child sex charges, with promises of more arrests to follow.

Gov. Bobby Jindal announced the results of "Operation Child Watch," a
project targeting child predators across the state.

"I said during my campaign for governor that I would make Louisiana the
worst place for anyone who wants to hurt a child," Jindal said Friday. "With
the strict laws targeting sex offenders we passed in the regular session, we
are well on the way to making that a reality.

"I want the message to be clear: If you want to hurt a child, if you want to
molest a kid, if you want to commit a sex crime against our innocent young
people - you cannot do it here in Louisiana."

Operation Child Watch was coordinated by the Louisiana State Police and the
office of the state Attorney General. About a dozen local law enforcement
agencies participated in the roundup.

In all, officers executed 20 search warrants. They confiscated more than 30
computers storing images of child pornography and sexual abuse.

"The success of this operation is due to the dedicated troopers, deputies,
officers and agents who have partnered together and devoted every available
resource to protecting our children from these unimaginable criminal acts,"
said Col. Mike Edmonson, superintendent of Louisiana State Police.

The U.S. Attorney's Office and several parish district attorney's offices
were also part of the operation.