[StBernard] Fight Against Property Tax Increase Continues

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 11 17:58:58 EST 2008

LA POLITICS FROM THE INSIDE <http://www.timburns.com>

FIGHT AGAINST PROPERTY TAX INCREASE CONTINUES

Late last week, the St. Tammany Parish Council, voted unanimously against
raising property tax rates and urged other taxing bodies to do the same.
The St. Tammany legislative delegation is very appreciative for our Parish
Council for deciding to keep their millages at their current level during
these difficult economic times and urge other taxing bodies to follow the
good example of our Parish Council. Despite the fact that St. Tammany has
the highest property tax rate in the state, many tax bodies, most of whom
are not even elected, have regularly raised your property taxes in the past
without a vote of the people and generally without anyone's knowledge. To
make matters worse, a recent Attorney General's opinion No. 08-0257 (that we
plan to appeal) allows taxing bodies who advertised back in April to raise
your property tax rates presently without any further public notice (besides
a last minute agenda tacked to the front door) and the following are a list
of public bodies who will be voting to raise your property tax rates shortly
despite already receiving 6-10% increases in their budget from property
taxes due to normal growth and which are unrelated to millage increases. A
former mayor of Baton Rouge recently told me that he never rolled millages
forward once during his 12 years in office. Unfortunately, there are taxing
bodies that have the habit of rolling up their millage rates every chance
they can. Our citizens and businesses can no longer afford this practice.

Please take the time to contact the taxing bodies below and let them know
that you do care about your property taxes during these difficult economic
times and that you will not stand for further taxation without
representation, and say NO to further property tax increases.

Meetings Scheduled:

11/11/08
Fire district 8
Meeting @ 7pm