[StBernard] Paris Road Property

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 11 21:38:04 EST 2008

I agree with you, the area is a mess, but I am doing my part just look at the property I own, 5401, 5405, 4751, and 4500 Paris Road , ground up rebuilds, for the past 2 years I have tried to lease or even short term rent one of these buildings,The 5401 building is 10,000 sq ft air conditioned with a 3,000 sq ft carport and 500 feet of bulkheaded dock. Every time someone comes to look at it they smell the stinking dump that SDT has operated for the past 2 years. This is a disgrace and an insult to our community, as for the transfer station, I think it is not needed, EPA guidelines for building a transfer station ask some simple questions, 1st how much household garbage does your community generate? We generated 4,000 tons a month pre storm and should generate 1500 to 1800 tons per month according to the present population. 2nd how far is it for a direct haul to the final destination? 28 miles to River Burch in Waggaman. EPA suggest that under 40 mile is not cost effective for a transfer station. How many acres are needed for the present volume of Garbage being transferred from SDT? 500,000 tons require a site that is 15 acres.Now ask the question, Does SDT need a transfer station? Yes of course this will be a huge benefit to his business, one that no other garbage collector has in the area. Does he deserve this transfer station? In my opinion NO! The site is too small only 4 acres with one acre declared wetlands, and less than 5oo feet from numerous homes. What benefit would this bring to our Parish? Garbage collection is a non taxed industry, so I see no benefit to it. as a matter of fact it will degrade and devalue the property along Paris Road. I know that I am fighting a loosing battle, but I will continue to express my thoughts to the council members. As for me I will continue to cut my grass and keep my properties along Paris Road as nice as I can. Hopefully the newly elected council will clean up the entrance to our Parish. in closing I would like to remind you that I have built a new home in St. Bernard in Marina Estates and my wife for 36 years and I plan on spending the rest of our lives in St. Bernard Parish. I have not relocated like so many of my life long friends have, cut me and I bleed blue, just like the colors of our Parish Flag! I can debate this for hours, if you like, I am well versed on the issues at hand. If you would like to call me you know my number. Pete