[StBernard] Crescent City bridge audit calls for dumping toll-takers

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 4 19:22:45 EST 2008

Jim, there's only one reason I have a toll tag - and it has nothing to do
with my sitting on the bridge's Commission. Since I frequent the westbank
for business, I found it advantageous to get a tag, especially since the
balance never expires. So even if it takes a year to use up the balance, I
though it a good idea as a time saver. But like most experts the team
examining the performance and use of the bridge never think about all the
reasons why someone would be crossing it. Not everybody lives here.

There has been some talk in the past about making the bridge and the
elevated Westbank Expressway part of the Interstate corridor. Of course,
La. DOTD is not too crazy about that because it would mean giving up
political control of the bridge, plus you could no longer charge tolls on
any bridge or road part of the federal interstate highway system.

I should note that I and all other members of the bridge commission serve in
a voluntary capacity. We receive no compensation of any kind - no per diem,
not even reimbursement of expenses or mileage. Initially we were going to
receive something, but it was myself and Lafitte Mayor Tim Kerner who
motioned to remove any kind of compensation/reimbursement for serving on the
CCCOA. Our reasoning was after the old MRBA was disolved under a cloud of
corruption and controversy, we thought it best to present an image that we
had only the best interest of the public and to see to the proper use of
toll revenue. We meet only when needed, usually every 3 to 6 months. I've
served since the commission's creation in 2000 having been appointed by Gov.
Mike Foster. I intend to be stepping down in the near future. I feel it's
time to let someone else serve who would enjoy doing it for the public's
benefit.

John