[StBernard] Couple shot at in Chalmette Home Depot parking lot

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 4 18:22:33 EST 2009

What makes life even more unbearable is the fact that the economy is in the
tank. This fosters more crime, drugs, and disturbances that make any parish
look like a 3rd world country to some. Bad economic times brings out the
worse in some looking for "easy money" though a new "lucrative" job "dealing
in drugs". To some it beats working the burger joints to pay living
expenses. (and it brings in da dope for da dope who uses it!).

True, before Katrina, I noticed crime was basically unheard of: in
exception, a case every now and then of using steroids to play ball or
bodybuild, and about a few weed-heads who believe they're going to get more
insight into life and utopia away from da real world. Now with reality TV,
who needs to be a participant in "reality St. Bernard?"

Now, it's up to the public outcry to the sheriff Steven's (who may say his
hands are shackled by prohibitive cost overruns and expenses of more
officers on the job and the "real brilliant" judges who don't enforce the
laws to maximums through wheeling and dealing with defense attorneys who
sicken me with the "P.... O. S...'s that they represent.

We're afraid with the liberal approach to things (laws, release of
criminals, etc.) that things not only will worsen, the ball will always be
in the parish homeowner who must defend his/her property violently (weapons,
confrontation, victimized by the criminals), etc.

Next time, it might not happen in Home Depot. It could be Tony's or at
Wendy's or somewhere near us.

How un-lawless it feels when crime strikes us or near us. We feel so
helpless to stop it in exception that we do something drastic ourselves,
like arm ourselves in the field, become vigilantes or simply move out of the
area.

Expecting a peaceful, harmonious environment is so simple--experiencing it
is not so easy.

--jer--