[StBernard] St. Bernard President Craig Taffaro launches Oyster program

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 4 18:23:22 EST 2009

Oyster sculpture to promote St. Bernard Parish unveiled

at the grand openings of the St. Bernard Council on Aging

and renovated Parish Government Complex

Parish to sell them to promote the parish’s culture

In front of about 250 people at the grand opening celebration Feb. 2 for the
newly built St. Bernard Council on Aging and the renovated Parish Government
Complex, St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro unveiled a large oyster
replica with the St. Bernard Parish symbol on it as part of a program he is
starting to celebrate the parish’s heritage.

He said wants businesses to buy these replicas to display as a way “to
identify our cultural richness,” President Taffaro said. “New Orleans has
the Fleur-de-Lis
and street cars and now we have our oyster. “

Businesses and organizations can contact Tourism Director Elizabeth “Gidget”
McDougall at 278-4242 to express about interest in purchasing one and to
give the type of oyster, whether they want it to be displayed indoors or
outdoors. The program is intended to promote St. Bernard's cultural richness
and awareness and be used as a symbol of our growth, President Taffaro said.

The plan is to partner with the St. Bernard Chamber of Commerce to gauge
interest and depending on the number of oysters sculptures requested, a
price will be developed. Businesses will select the style and décor of the
oyster. Oysters will be decorated to represent the organization or business
and it will be delivered completed.

Learn more about St. Bernard’s Recovery and Growth at its website,
www.sbpg.net <http://www.sbpg.net/> . In addition to calling McDougall at
278-4242, she may be reached by email at emcdougall at sbpg.net
<mailto:emcdougall at sbpg.net> .

###