[StBernard] Wall Mart Aquires Huge Tract of Land in Eastern NO

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 8 12:13:49 EST 2009

"One would ask why the acquisition of more land when
there is a store in St. Bernard, so close to Eastern New Orleans to serve
both areas? --JD"

Jer Responds:

I will say this for the people of St. Bernard and the existing store in
Chalmette:

We all know that businessmen and women look for the dollars that are brought
in by an establishment. What's happening is that the *Brick-'n - Mortar*
"WALL-Mart" has hit a Brick Wall. Well, at least a "half-wall".

If/When Wal-Mart opens to St. Bernard, St. Bernardians can look at the glass
of the parish as "half-Full" with it resembling half of what they had in
2005. Well, it'll be much welcomed when one figures 8 or 9 dollar stores in
lieu of the "half-Super Store". We all know that when the chips are down,
winning a poker hand of $50 after losing $100 is better than walking away
with $50 lost, right?

Oh, I can remember the grand old gal: Wal-Mart Superstore that was condemned
by the masses in Chalmette and Arabi, in Council meetings and TV, (while
longly awaited to replace the "half-way house" of Wal-Mart growing older
next to the defunct K-Mart (which turned into a Big Lots then and which
would, we're sure, be appreciated in St. Bernard these days.

To be honest, I thought I was in Heaven on Earth of some regards being
inside the largest store I could imagine (it only being open very, very
shortly to get my business but a few times before the storm claimed it). The
vastness, groceries, clothes, impressive isles that took what it seemed days
to complete the walk through the store, but had just about anything I needed
at a moment's notice.

Gone.

Gone, but remembered dearly. I had a choice then, between Wal-Mart and
Sav-a-Center a couple blocks away in that area.

The mom-'n pop stores of course cannot compete and those existing "again" or
in its place loves the attention they are getting in its absence. However,
we all know they cannot compete when selling head to head and that's the
sadness of it. I studied the emergence of a Wal-Mart in areas, read about it
in print and saw it in documentaries.

However, one thing I will say: When Wal-Mart went away with Katrina, the
mom-and-pop's didn't go away, they re-emerged in its absence, somehow
disproving that Wal-Mart won't kill the town, but a Hurricane did. How they
can co-exist is by offering uniqueness in clothing and hardware, provide
good service and expert advice that the big-box store doesn't.

If a darn pretty girl moves in on your block where there are not many boys,
do you feel uncompetitive and move away or do the ladies fix-themselves-up
with makeup, get a overhaul or lose weight to compete because..well, you
just love it where you live and refuse to move because some "bimbo" wants to
claim your neighborhood?

Still, we miss the fabulous gains of yesteryear. We wish them back--no, we
pray for them to return to our place of entitlement. We take what we are
given and pray for the improvements and growth someday soon in our community
and parish. After all, what's a community without a Wal-Mart, a hospital,
lots of schools, and more

People <-------> Wal-Mart
People <-------> Hospital
People <-------> Goods and Services
People <-------> More Taxes
People <-------> More and better Neighborhoods
People <-------> Overseers vs. crime <-------> Good People vs. bad
People
People <-------> Attractiveness to growth and new business
People <-------> Organizing to create a safe-haven for community =
Safe-strong levees vs. storms, etc.

An overall better community here = a return of assured confidence, safety,
jobs return and complete recovery. It's lacking now, but it doesn't have to
at some point in the future if everyone is given a "lift-up" starting with
Federal Help, and following through with da parish's own strengths and
faith.

--jer

Btw, a link to memory land:

Remembering Wal-Mart: 2002 - 2005